Sunday, February 12, 2012

Melted Heart Crayons


These are so cute!! They really weren't that hard to make but having never done it before, there was some trial and error. Remember, I'm not really that creative so some things that would be common sense to some, really aren't to me. This is why I do this blog! For us "creatively challenged" people!!

The project on saw on Pinterest, for one, didn't really give detailed instructions, and two, glued these hearts to card stock with little messages on them for Valentine's Day. A lot of the comments from that project were about not being able to keep the hearts on the card stock without hot gluing. I don't want the kids to have hot glue on their crayons! So, I was determined to make these for my sons class and make them just as adorable without the hot glue!

Details:
            Cheap! Most parents have a million broken crayons around the house!
            Easy (once you use my detailed directions).
            Not to time consuming, especially if you have your husband help cut the crayons!
            So many different shapes you can use for any occasion!

Materials:

          I used hearted shaped, silicone molds from Target. about $2 (last year)
          Crayons. Best to use all the same brand. Free or about $1-4 anywhere
          Blade or sharp knife
          Baking sheet (not pictured)
          (I didn't use the colored pencils pictured)

1.  Preheat oven to 230.
2. 

          

Strip your crayons of all the paper. The quickest way I found was to gently cut the paper down the crayon lengthwise. Then it just falls off in one piece. I also found out the hard way that using crayons of all the same brand work much better! When I used all different kinds, some melted and some didn't. I ended up throwing some out.

3.


Cut the crayons, with the blade or knife, into about 1/4 inch pieces and place them in the silicone molds. Again, I learned the hard way, make sure they are all about the same small size. I know, common sense to some I'm sure, but me.......I just don't have crafting common sense! By the way, I made my husband cut up most of the crayons! It wasn't hard at all, I just wanted him to help!

Fill the molds all the way to the top but make sure as it melts, it won't spill over. Try to arrange the pieces so that you fit as many as possible in each heart. You want them as thick as possible so the kids don't break them as they color.

4.


Place the silicone molds on a baking sheet. These helps when you take them out of the oven they stay even and don't spill.

5.
Place on the middle rack in the oven at 230 for 15 minutes. I did 5 minutes at a time to watch them carefully. Remember all ovens are different!

6.


Let cool for at least 30 minutes. I'm sure it depends on how thick yours are. My first batch I let cool over night only because I pulled them out at 11pm and went to bed.

Then "pop" them out. They come out pretty easy. I think the silicone is the way to go with these. I couldn't imagine trying to get these out of something hard.

               

Then I put them in a cute bag with a note on it! Must easier then hot gluing them all to card stock!
* My son goes to a Spanish immersion school so they are in Spanish and I've blocked out his last name. They say "You Color My World!"*
 BUT because I'm a busy mom and had a whole lot of things to do this weekend, I ended up making little simple baggies. They were much quicker! Besides the kids wouldn't appreciate the nicer one anyways!

** It says "You Color My World!" **
Notes:

So, I changed up the original Pinterest post a bit and came up with my own ideas. Over all a great and easy project! I will do these for Halloween and Christmas too!
Have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment